16 December, 2023

Colourful and fragrant!




 

After a gap of three years, we planted the above rose bushes in our garden. Our experience with rose bushes have been reasonable although we could not protect them from insects and infections adequately. However we have had regular supply of flowers for four flower vases in our home. 

I remember listening to lessons from different sources about taking care of rose bushes, for them to bear flowers and pruning them in time to allow new shoots to sprout. 

There are people who advised us to keep testing the soil periodically to  supply the soil with deficient nutrients. 

There are Desert roses in our garden, which in contrast do not need lot of attention except the usual care. 


The desert roses are rich in colour with no or very little scent and fragrance. 

It is the scent and fragrance which draw insects to the regular rose bushes. Their vulnerability is on account of the self giving nature of being fragrant. 

I had a difficult experience yesterday and I did not know how to respond to the situation. A workman quoted his labour charges which I paid and gave an extra pocket money, as a gesture of appreciation of his good work. He came back in the evening yesterday wanting more money! I was disturbed ! He indicated that the work was difficult and needed to be paid more. I reminded him of the pocket money that I gave him extra. But he disregarded it. I was not comfortable to yield to his demand. 

Later in the evening,  in a conversation with someone else, who introduced this workman to me, I found out that this workman is alcohol dependent!  I wondered whether he came in the evening, while under the influence of alcohol! I look forward to finding more about him and his family. 

I hear comments in conversations, as to how others can 'exploit' us! I have often ignored such comments. To be able to live mindfully towards others at the risk of being vulnerable, is a difficult position to be in. 

I know from experience that there are times others use us for their benefit  without feeling  grateful. I wonder whether I can grow into accepting that as normal!

A rose flower, during its life time would suffer from the invasion of insects. But it continues to be colourful and fragrant. 



Life is for living,  even when we suffer being vulnerable to situations and stressful experiences. 

To live giving and forgiving is a calling! 

That involves being vulnerable and feeling used. A rose flower is always colourful and fragrant! It is not otherwise when it is vulnerable! 

Anna and I sang a Hymn in the morning, two stanzas of which brought a refreshing touch to our soul:

'Help us to accept each other,

As Christ accepted us;

Teach us, as sister, brother,

Each person to embrace.

Be present, Lord among us,

And bring us to believe,

We are ourselves accepted,

And meant to love and live.


Teach us, O Lord, our lessons,

As in our day life

We struggle to be human,

And search for hope and faith.

Teach us to care for people,

For all, not just for some,

To love Tim as we find them,

Or as they may become.'

(From a hymn by Fred Kaan)


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment