09 October, 2023

Formative Friendships!



Most of the time when a bird is awake, it is in flight, from one place to another. As I watched this bird high in the sky in the morning yesterday, I was made to think of this experience of movements in our lives. 

Eleven years ago, Anna and I came to stay in our cottage, as my mother needed care with her advancing age and needs. Incidentally both of us got associated with a Medical College for 11 years. 

Among the many happy experiences of that 11 years, one was meeting some friends, who stayed in touch since then. When Rejit and family visited us yesterday, my memory went back to the first occasion when I met him, while he was doing his junior residency. Since then, the many occasions of conversations and mutual visits brought experiences which enriched us. 



A the end of their visit, what stayed on with me is the joy of being visited! Ever since the COVID pandemic, the social visits decreased with a shift to the digital mode of staying in touch. 

Anna and I felt that we too have moved into messaging and mailing to stay in touch. Such ultrashort conversations and communications reduced the flavour of physical presence, which has the dimension of meeting to remember, recollect, reflect and celebrate. 

In the journey of life, we move from one situation in life to another, which creates distance from what we were used to earlier. The contrast in building relationship is the movement towards each other. 

At the end of the time together with Rejit and family, what Anna and I felt was the experience of the warmth and gladness which their visit Brough two us !

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment