16 August, 2022

In the quietness of the garden!












As I walked around in our garden yesterday, I looked for presence of birds in their hiding places. I am familiar with the favourite spots of birds where they are perched in the morning. 

There were surprises. One was that of a Crested serpent eagle in stillness. I do not have a photo of this eagle. Therefore it was a delight to spot and take a photo. This species of Eagle survives on snakes hence its name.  The other was that of a kingfisher with its prey between its beaks. It was a dragon fly and not a fish. Following the recent rain, the stream is muddy and devoid of fish. 

The early morning time is the golden hour to look out for birds because we find them in places  where they are likely to find their morning feed. 

When I returned to our courtyard, I noticed that the recently pruned and trimmed rose bush is already sprouting its first bud. 

In the quietness of the garden the avian life flourishes and the plant life thrives. 

It gave me some thoughts to ponder on!

I realised that I might find delightful sights outside; what about delightful experiences within! 

We live in an environment, when even on the Independence Day, the Prime Minister of India had to use his speech against the dynastic political leadership in India. It was a solemn occasion to bring cohesion and unity, but it turned out to be a talk to propagate the political agenda of his party! To use every occasion to abuse Nehru family and the descendants is a psycho phobia arising from fear and anxiety of the larger truth coming to occupy the centre stage!

To turn inward and live solemnly, recalling the goodness that comes to us because of the kindness of others is actually the experience of living altruistically. 

What is life worth living for if self propagation is its mission! We have our time in human history. It is when we can connect with the past and the future soberly, we become relational humans. 

There is a place for quiet presence amidst the turbulence in the public space. It is this which came home to me as I watched these birds in their hiding places. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment