15 August, 2022

A Bulbul's body response!






I was engaged in getting a close up pf this Bulbul which was perched in the electric cable! As I moved forward to get a view, it repositioned itself and look straight at the camera. That gave me a good view of its semi-flexed head and the wide open eyes. The body posture changed with the feathers partly open ready to fly away in case of a threat. 

Even a bird is able to adapt in the midst of a possible threat! Its innate defence poise came to overtake at such a time. 

I captured a similar body response from a Kingfisher, while perched in another cable. It even changed its position to get a view of the  other side. I felt that it was doing a threat survey!




I have had a few experiences of the way pre-school children perceive engagement with strangers. The three photos below give us a glimpse of how they adapt facially to respond to a stranger!




A similar face responses might be present with adults as well when engaging an unexpected situation. 

I have a greater sense of the situations which can take me off guard. The readiness to face some situations would be more complete, when we equip ourselves in to the habit of anticipating what we might encounter!

This form of living with alertness and readiness is expressed in the prayer of Dr Ida Scudder used to pray:

'Father whose life is within me and whose love is ever about me, 
grant that this life may be maintained in my life today and every day, 
that with gladness of heart, without haste or confusion of thought,

I may go about my daily tasks,

conscious of my ability to meet every rightful demand,

seeing the larger meaning of little things 

and finding beauty and love every where.

And in the sense of Thy presence may I walk,

through the hours breathing the atmosphere of love 

rather than anxious striving'.


 Dr. Ida Scudder

   {founder CMC Vellore}




M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment