05 December, 2021

The grooming ritual !






 




I found this sight fascinating this morning! A Kingfisher in its regular ritual. I often noticed such a ritual for a short time. But today it was a long one hour. This ritual of grooming is often after its bath. 

Later when I found this bird in another palm branch in an adjacent palm, I knew that its ritual gave the bird a new look!



This experience of watching a bird paying attention to its upkeep brought a message to consider.  

I have taken short cuts on several days from walking the distance of 3 kilometres as required   for cardiac rehabilitation.  It is often on account of long hours of work related occupation. 

What brought home to me was the message that the kingfisher started the day only after its regular morning ritual. The kingfisher has its routine and probably does not miss it usually. 

It was a time to think of the routines that I follow each day. When any routine essential for wellness for the body, mind, soul and spirit is forgotten or by-passed, it would tell on the wellness slowly and surely.  

This set me thinking on the wellness that we often refer to casually. I feel that it is often viewed subjectively. But wellness has an objective dimension. 

The sleep cycle, food-exercise regimen, Scripture reading, prayer and meditation, being in touch with friends, caring for someone in need, attending to household chores, spending time with the spouse, pursuing a hobby, attending to our professional work diligently etc are the ways by which we bring wellness to the optimum level. 

When we work from such a state of wellness, even the work brings energy, instead of tiredness. The relational dimension of work is often reinforcing of wellness, when we see others as companions and fellow travellers. I find that children and families who visit me give me a new measure of consciousness of the landscape in which others live and adapt, to the situations to turn them in to an opportunity. Seeing others, listening to them, and getting acquainted with the diverse levels of  human resilience is energy giving and renewing. 

I owe these thoughts to the Kingfisher who took time to attend to its body! 

I wish I give more time to bird sighting as it would give me promptings to lead me out of  from fixed positions in my thoughts and behaviour!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment