06 December, 2021

Roads that last beyond rain!




I happened to take a different road to go to the hospital last week. I discovered a road not damaged by the recent rains. The road looked well surfaced but also had pedestrian pathway on both sides. The roadside looked ornamental with flowering plants. 

While talking to an engineer I realised that the new technology available for road building is not put to use often while roads are resurfaced. There is also poor supervision of the work done on the roads when they are relaid!

Whatever it might be, the travel on roads bring a different experience when one does not have to negotiate pot holes and water pools. 

The panchayat of this area which supervises the road construction has an honest officer in charge of road works, because of which the full allotted money is spent on the work. Otherwise there is siphoning of the money for other purposes. 

The source of good outcome is an honest person!

I reflected on this further! 

I grew up in the immediate post independent India. The language of political leadership was 
'serve to grow' at that time! I remember being moved by this approach and call. 

I feel awful for the drift in the outlook of the political leadership to 'Stay in power somehow'! A member of the Parliament was recently offered a huge gift and a cabinet rank in the council of Ministers if he changed his party affiliation, according to a press report. If it is true it is a sign of moral vacuum in our political leadership.  

I shall be retiring soon from my regular work! I have many reasons to be thankful for forty five years in professional work. But I have a regret that younger people of this generation has lesser role models to look upto in the political leadership of the country! 

A nation grows when its leadership lives to provide moral compass to live by!

M.C.Mathew(text and Photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment