03 December, 2021

Listening presence !


I began the day with a sense of gladness and expectations, but ended the day with regrets and disappointment. Anna had returned yesterday after having been with our children and grandchildren for a while. That was a good enough reason to be in a joyful spirit. 

Later in the day at work, I was loud and harsh with a person who had an unreasonable demand. I could not keep my composure and relate to the occasion restfully! I returned home confused and disturbed knowing that I am in a stressful setting!

While returning to look at the precipitating factors for my unnecessary agitated state, I came across the photo of these two birds in contemplative composure!

I allowed myself to dwell on this theme to get to the roots of my agitated state, when this person expressed an unreasonable demand.  

I arrived at a reasonable consciousness about some essentials for staying well when caught in a provocation situation. 

The two birds in this photo reveal an orientation of composure towards each other. No matter what and how a person speaks, it is by being in a friendly orientation it is possible to remain receptive and comfortable.  The other person ought not provoke or control my response; but by keeping an inward sense of due regard to the other person, one is able to stay composed  even when a person is not reasonable. 

The second observation I make about these birds is their listening orientation. There is a blend of conversation and silence in this communicative process. I did pause a few times yesterday while engaged with the person to keep the balance between conversation and silence, but I got dragged away by what I heard rather than being attentive to the voice from  within me. I failed in this art of inward listening. 

The body poise of the birds in the picture above, is that of an affirming presence. I could have avoided being confrontational. To be conciliatory in a conversation does involve sensing the mood and affect of the person and being responsive to that in a thoughtful manner. I could not transcend beyond how I felt at that time when the person had an unreasonable proposal. How I wish I travelled beyond myself while listening to keep my focus on the other person!

As I reflect on the listening presence as a means for making any interaction mutually beneficial, I come away from the audit of yesterday's event with one consolation. I was able to telephone to that person later in the evening and apologise for not being reasonable enough to listen and understand! 

I realised yesterday that I felt pressured because of pending work- medical reports, unfinished articles, planning meeting for the next year, editing of two publications which should have been completed this year, etc!

I like watching the photo of these two birds- they convey restful and expectant composure! What an invitation to pursue!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment