05 August, 2020

The open flower!




I watched this bud open to be a flower during the day!

The function of a bud is to become a flower. A flower fulfils its function by its openness. Its openness invites honey bees, ants and other insects for its nectar. The pollination is possible because a flower is open. It shares its brilliance and artistic character because it is open. All of these do not happen if it is only a bud and does not open!

A lesson for me in this! I can be a bud and a flower at the same time. I can remain closed to some because I choose that way due to my hesitation, suspicion or past experience. I can be open to some others with whom I have had an easy and up-building relationship.

I can harm myself with this choice I make. 

My role as an adult is to be open and not return to an infantile pattern of being selective . It is in being open, I have projects of sharing my life with others and  they in turn with me. This openness is critical in marriage relationship, where intimacy alone can be the only medium of communication between the two who  betrothed to be on a journey of 'becoming one' by the marriage vows. 

In all other relationships, the attitude of openness is seminal. We deprive ourselves by holding back what we feel about a person. An open confession of appreciation and disappointments would build relationships. Being open also would mean that we are reasonable, logical and inclined to be true to ourselves and towards others. 

When we can live open, we spread the aroma of freshness and encouragement to others. They in turn value us as those who are trustworthy and ready to be honest and fair. 

Yet another instance of a silent flower, ministering to my soul and awakening a consciousness which needed a revival!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo) 


No comments:

Post a Comment