14 July, 2020

Green and still pasture!



Watching this cow from a distance, feeding on the grass brought many memories of my childhood. During holidays and weekends, I was responsible for taking our cows for grazing. My parents had four cows at one time. 

One thing I remember about the cows is the way they kept grazing on the grass undisturbed till they were full. Then they would lay down and rest and resume the second round. A well fed cow is ready to return to the stable in the evening.  Most of them would continue feeding even in rain!

They feed enough for each day. It is an active process as they have to keep the neck stretched to the ground and bite and grind grass. They avoid leaves which they ought not to eat. They make out what is not good for them by smell or taste. 

One of my thoughts when I stayed watching this cow eat grass, was how the farmer provides for the cow by taking it to the pasture!

A farmer is a provider. Each of us is also a provider. How much I live conscious of this! I am called to be a provider for my colleagues, neighbours, farmer workers who come to work and others with whom I have an association!

What we provide becomes a means of benefit for others. Keeping the need and benefit of others in our consciousness is a vocation!

We tend to live thinking about ourselves and our families. It is a season when others might have more needs which they are unable to provide for themselves!

I wish we become a community of providers, where others become the objects of our attention! To think of others and lead them to 'green pastures' is a calling!



M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment