05 July, 2020

A Tailorbird pair!






A drizzling morning is no good time for bird watching. I was not even prepared with the right lens of the camera to capture a pair of birds which moved quickly and disappeared from my sight in less than a minute. 

This pair was a small 'olive-green restless bird with white underparts, rust coloured crown and two elongated pinpointed feathers in the tail, more developed in the breeding male'. During that ultra-short time, I could watch this pair, I felt fascinated by their frolicking behaviour and loud and cheerful reciprocal bird calls.  

As their breeding time is between July and September, it is good to watch them in the garden. I hope they settle down to make there nest in the garden. They are 'bold' birds who would enter even the veranda in search for food. They see to love shrubbery. Our garden is full of  them. 

They make their nest with large plant leaves neatly woven together, making it into the shape of a pouch. I shall look pout for it!



The interesting part of their behaviour this time was that the male bird followed the travel path the female bird chose! Most of it was along the electric cable!

The last time I spotted a single tailor bird in our garden was during the time of the year, a year back. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment