16 January, 2021

Three thousand blog posts as of today !

When Anna suggested that I start blogging and created a blog spot for me in June 2012, I saw the journey to write hazily as in the picture above.

I am amazed that the hesitant start, after eight years has brought me to this land mark of three thousand blog posts  on an array of subjects- my biography, people whom I want to remember, opinions, Biblical reflections, politics, society, nature, current affairs, family life, education, medic as a vocation, church and society, relationships, family life, etc. 

I look back and feel that for Anna and myself the last eight years were also a period of some significance. Anna was able to make a significant contribution to Pharmacology and Research initiatives at MOSC. I was able to contribute to initiative the Developmental Paediatrics and Child Neurology at MOSC and to be associated with the governing Council of the Christian Medical College, Vellore for five years, when the hospital was engaged in building a new hospital of 1500 beds at Kanigapuram and a hospital of of 200 beds at the Chittor campus of CMC. 


The two rose flowers above, from our garden yesterday summarised for me how Anna and I have a celebrant spirit within us now, as both of us come to the close of our association with MOSC. Anna retired In December 2020 and my turn is in June, 2021.

It is now 20 years since the book below was published and continues to be in circulation with new editions. Anna and I are grateful for the initiative of Ms. Beulah Wood to transcribe the tapes we made and to create a book which is valued as starter for parents on their parenting journey.



The book below is the story of ASHIRVAD from 1983 to 1997, published in 1998.  This book is a summary of the small beginnings of what happened at the Child Development Centre at Chennai. The book also tells the story of preparation to move to the Christian Medical College, Vellore  to start the first Developmental Paediatrics unit in any Medical College in India. Ms Katharine Makower visited us at CMC Vellore and wrote the story of the 11 years of our association with CMC, till we retired in 2008, in developing the facilities of the developmental Paediatrics specialty leading to start the first  post-doctoral fellowship and PhD programmes in Developmental Paediatrics in India. That is due for publication.
 


Yesterday, as I drove in to the MOSC College Campus, I noticed a tree in blossom. The tree had a transformed look with this violet flowers adoring the tree. I was glued to the  flowers for a while, so much so I hindered couple of cars from getting in to the parking space. Life is for bearing flowers and fruits. It was an inspirational moment for me. 



I noticed this pair of Myna birds a few days back in the lawn of  the MOSC campus and found them lifting their heads and looking beyond. To me it became as  a symbol for the future. There is more to life than Anna and I have lived thus far. The opportunities are there for us to explore and stay engaged.   



One of our recent initiatives was to revive the Friday Forum of dialogue, we used to have, at our home, while being at CMC Vellore and PIMS Pondicherry for fifteen years. As few of us meet on  an on-line platform to explore the theme of Life, Living and Learning Anna and I find a symbol in the lily below from our garden, of the new life that would emerge from this dialogue initiative.  We feel grateful for the friends who come together for an hour of this weekly interaction. 




So we look back to the beginning of this blog series. It was hazy to start with.

Now the blog is also history like the story of ASHIRVAD, the book own parenting, the experiences of initiating the developmental Paediatrics Unit at CMC and the developmental Paediatrics and Child Neurology department at MOSC Medical College. 

Why do I continue writing! These blog posts are conversation with myself. I post them to tell my story and the journey path I choose.  

In so doing I grow in openness, confession and inner awakening! It is a way of affirming to myself that others have a right to have an access to the story of my life!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment