02 January, 2020

Grateful and surprised!



With the dawn of 2020, we are in the eight year of the department of Developmental Paediatrics and Child Neurology. I am overwhelmed by many grateful memories of my present and  former colleagues. I refer to fifteen eighteen colleagues and eleven current ones.  For most of them it was the first time experience of the scope, mission and frontiers of this specialty.  I feel equally overwhelmed by the evolution of this specialty in this institution which some remark as a unique service in  a medical college. 

Every former and present professional is the architect of turning  a mission into an academic specialty. Yesterday Anna reminded me that seven scientific papers were published and eleven presentation were made at national and international conferences by medical students who partnered with us in the research projects during the last seven years. Thomas (in the photo below) who is now a junior resident preparing for his post-graduate entrance, was the first medical student who began the research study in the department. Most of the students were able to get ICMR awards for their research work.   

I feel moved to find the usefulness of the Early Learning centre, Learning Resource Centre, Family Resource centre and Transition Planning centre in the lives of parents and children. I sense a resolve in my colleagues to make earnest efforts to try out new approaches to support parents such as forming  a Parenting Forum and design child friendly home environment.

During this season of Christmas and new year, I felt touched by the efforts of my colleagues to make hand crafted thank-you cards and visit about thirty departments in the hospital who help us in some way or other and even distribute cakes to some of them. 

The enthusiasm my colleagues showed to use the money collected from the save a rupee campaign among students and staff for buying toys for children in the creche created in the hospital administration a desire to upgrade facilities in the creche. 

Yesterday, I felt overjoyed by the spontaneous gesture by the team to substitute lunch planned for two occasions during this week with tea to save money to purchase toys for five families who are economically disadvantaged!

What makes a work place a life transforming experience are  acts of thoughtfulness towards each other,  neighbours and strangers! 

What was just a dream in 2012 as a service for children has now become a formative place for all of us where we grow and develop while we work and relate. 


I feel blessed by what Anna and I  receive from their cheerful self giving habits ! Thank you friends, (past and present) you have touched us and we have grown!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment