02 July, 2023

Drenched but sharing the experience!





I watched this pair of Drongo perched on a tree, during a downpour of heavy rain last week! They were drenched and looked miserable, with water trickling from their normally well groomed shiny feathery coat. 

What caught my attention was their in between moments of nearness, which they conveyed through their look towards each other! They felt for each other and communicated that in a way that could bring an increased sense of experience of nearness! They shared their experiences to grow in a sense of belonging. 

I had a difficult time to capture this in the camera in the poor light settings. I am gad that I persisted to get these photos, which to me reveals the heart of finding strength from each other in difficult times. 

Anna and I are beginning to feel a new strength in our nearness to each other, when the academic and professional trappings are no more a crutch to us. Anna having retired two years ago and I two days ago, the space between us is now occupied by our common interests and shared experiences. There is a solemn private space, which we shall share together, by going through the day mindful of each other. 

We look forward to bringing in to that space, some common interests that we can pursue together. 

I visited a priest yesterday, who told me that what we left behind during our time of ten years in the medical college was a message of thoughtfulness towards others!

How do we bring others in to the private space!

Most of us struggle to find time and therefore relationships with others get scarce attention. 

Any one of us can feel drenched and weak, when faced with difficult situations in our life! Even in such times we can share the joy of giving!

This priest, whose mother is struggling with an illness and whose wife needed hospital admission recently, sent me away with a packet of fruits from his garden! I felt touched that amidst the strains created by the circumstances, he and his wife welcomed me into their troubled space to share their thoughtfulness! What a caring attitude to have our private space open to others! It was a joy to be with them for a short while and feel the wellness they expressed arising out of the strength of their togetherness. 

When lives are open to each other, there is a flow of strength in both direction! I wish Anna and I can find the new level of meaning and purpose as we look forward to creating the space of intimacy between us during this retired lifetime, into which we can draw others to share with them a sheltering support! 


M.C.Mathew( photo and text)















 

No comments:

Post a Comment