26 November, 2021

Two spices of Barbet !

I am used to seeing the small green Barbet in our garden. They are birds who come to feed on our Papaya and other fruits. 

During a recent visit to Madhepura Christian Hospital, while on a morning walk, I happened to notice a blue throated Barbet. I almost missed it in the twilight of a misty morning! 






As I waited for the next fifteen minutes or so, the sunlight shone on the Barbet through the foliage and the sight was spectacular. It was the first time I was spotting a blue throated Barbet. The delight was overwhelming. 

I have few bird lover friends. Dr Sanjeeth Peter, who is a cardio-thoracic surgeon in Nadiad sends me a bird photograph every month. His pictures of birds are exquisite because of his photographic skills! His enthusiasm for looking out for birds inspired me. One of our conversations during the two days of the governing board meetings of the Christian Medical College, Vellore was about birds! Birds remind us of some parables Jesus of Nazareth spoke during his discourses.

Birds give us a window in to the wonder in nature!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment