28 July, 2021

Quiet presence!



This plant is the first thing I see when I get out of the car every morning at the hospital campus.

I watched this plant over the next six months, always with flowers. Even in during this monsoon when other flowering plants take a respite, this has been infill bloom. I am not sure whether many notice this plant or go near to receive its greetings. 

While I was taking photographs of this plant a few medical students who were passing by stepped to ask me as to why I often take pictures fo this plant. They remember me taking pictures of this plant a few times in the recent months. 

I invited them to draw near to the plant and count the number of  flowers. One of them said that there are  enough flowers for all their class mates.

They are tiny flowers and often are in a pair. That is one of the specialities of this flower, that draws me this plant often. 

Wherever there is a symbol of togetherness or confluence, I feel drawn by that. That has been a longing for me in my journey in professional life. As this suffered badly in teh context where I work now, I have searched for this symbol to revive me even more. I protect myself from loosing sight of the call to belong even when the reality at work place can be otherwise at some times. 

Live with a pursuit of purpose. That shall anchor us in a vision although the vision is distant from reality.

I felt encouraged with the medical students as I seldom get an opportunity to be in touch with them. Anna and I used two hang around in the college canteen on Fridays until Anna retired in December to give an opportunity for medical students to join us for tea. Whenever that occurred, it gave a feeling of nearness to their thought world. Some discoveries we made influenced us and revived our hope of staying in touch. 

This time the meeting with the medical students was around a plant, that reminded us of the purpose of quiet presence with freshness and fragrance!

M.C.Mathew(text and picture) 

No comments:

Post a Comment