19 April, 2021

The dance of Kingfishers
















On a cloudy Sunday morning, about three hundred meters away in our garden, there was a captivating sight that held my attention for a while!

It was a romantic time for these two Kingfishers, at the end of which I noticed one of them gathering strands of coconut palm leaves for their nesting! 

It was a cloudy and dull morning with sun behind the clouds.  But they were at their best in celebrating their mission of togetherness. 

The second or third wave of COVID 19 consumes the attention of most people, generating fear and uncertainty. I had three telephone calls yesterday reminding me of the risk of going to hospital and continuing the clinical work. There is some truth in it. 

But the song of hope and purpose shall arise from our inner being! The circumstances do affect the wellness within. But the Kingfishers defied that logic. They were free to celebrate their togetherness and found the magic of belonging good enough, amidst the gloom of a cloudy morning. 

I found taking these pictures difficult in low light; but whatever I was able to take gave me a feeling of hope that transcends difficulties or fear!

I was thinking of millions of school going children who have been denied of the joy of togetherness and fun of learning and playing for one school year now, threatening to go on to another school year!

We are a divided society with multiple influences coming upon us. I deeply regret that the Prime Minister of india has been so accusative of the Chief Minister of West Bengal during the ongoing election time, that it makes me wonder, as to from whom will come a voice of harmony at a distressing time such as this. Mr Derek O' Brien in a recent interview in the NDTV used so much of derogatory language to blame the Prime Minister, that I feel less hopeful of this country getting united to fight the corona virus!

That is why it was a pleasure and an uplifting experience to watch the Kingfishers making such a display of celebration and demonstration of togetherness!

Who is not our neighbour! Is not someone from another political party our neighbour! Is not someone from another denomination our neighbour! Is not someone from another discipline of medicine our neighbour! Is not someone who speaks ill of us our neighbour!

I watched these Kingfishers and wondered whether they were telling me that, 'Find being together as a mission'!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment