22 April, 2021

Road side gardens!













I decided one  morning on my way to hospital, to take photos of plants or flowers I notice at the compound wall or outside it on the properties along my way. It was large collection. Let me present some of them here as the sights can take away of the monotony of the routine. Although a twenty minutes travel ended in an hour, I felt enthused to create a gallery of the flowers from which I chose above.

It is common to have plants and flowers on the compound wall or outside it in many houses. It is a way of greeting travellers. 

I was stopped by some to find why I was ophotogrptahing the flowers, which gave me an opportunity to enquire why they cultivate plants on the hedges or in pots. Everyone of then told me, it is a way of welcoming and greeting visitors and travellers. 

It is since these conversations, I have taken more interest to watch the sights on either side of the road. It is no more a travel along a road to reach my destination, but celebrating the journey remembering the efforts of others to create something beautiful for strangers on the road. 

Those who can think of strangers and create space to remember them, express an altruism that we desperately need. 

I got stranded yesterday with an error showing on the screen in the car. It happened next to a car sale outlet. The mechanic was cordial and needed the car to be left for inspection overnight. They on their own arranged for dropping me home in an auto rickshaw.

A touching gesture, when I was lost a bit! 

Showing gestures of mindfulness to strangers is an expression of kindness, but it is beyond that. Strangers are without friends on the spot, when they are caught unaware in a situation of need. 

I went home thinking once again of the flowers that are offered on the roadside to strangers travelling on the roads. 

M.C.Mathew(text adze photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment