07 April, 2021

A home making !












I watched a Magpie Robin gather sticks to build its nest in the main college building. It was gathering the twigs from the lawn of the college adjacent to the canteen area.

I happened to notice the Robin in search for something from its look. Soon it gathered a twig and flew away into the shrub close by and then off to the college building where its waiting.

It made three other sorties to gather twigs. On the fourth time the Robin noticed me and waited for me to move away by staying put on the shrub overlooking the lawn. By then it was 8.35 am and I could not wait any longer! I was already there for 40 minutes.

What a fascinating sight it was! 

A family is formed and a home is being made!

All the six families I met for consultation yesterday had something to tell me about heir home. Four of them of their dysfunctional states and two of them of the resilience and coping process in the midst of adversity of having to stretch themselves, amidst the COVID season to take care of their children who need special care!

A home is a place of formation of a family. I felt overwhelmed by the stories where this formative process is impaired. 

A friend from Bangalore called me at night to tell me how distressed she felt about the way the families bear the burden of having to care for their developmentally challenged children.

Watching the Robin preparing to make its home, was a timely message to me of the process that goes into making a home!

Parenting and home making are two skills and callings, about which I wonder whether young couples are made ready before they embark on these two responsibilities! 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment