08 April, 2021

Doctors in training- the Batch of 2020 !


I was asked to meet with the batch of 20210of doctors in training, who is currently having the foundation course. The theme assigned to me was to discuss 'professionalism in medicine'.

I was late by seven minutes as the location given to me in the message was at the Skills Lab. Having waited there for ten minutes, I received instruction that the meeting was in the conference hall. 

I found the batch of 100 immersed in conversation sitting in groups scattered in the large Hall, when I arrived seven minutes late.

It took a while to get students to volunteer for the five stage interaction I planned with them. 

The first stage was to get ten volunteers to talk about their experiences of meeting with a doctor. Although only seven volunteered, it was a good start to hear them mention about the listening attitude, approachability, communication skills, and competence of doctors whom they met. They felt encouraged and grateful at the end of their visit to the doctors for their medical needs. 

The second round was meeting in groups of ten, to discuss and list five qualities that they feel doctors ought to develop in professional conduct. I found the groups animated and interactive. 

The third round was the presentation by each group five qualities which they identified as essential in the professional conduct of doctors, which were recorded by a scribe who volunteered. 

Following this in the fourth round interaction, I invited the scribe to choose nine  qualities which were common to all the ten groups. The whole group voted for each of the qualities to find the hierarchy of importance of those qualities as they perceived them. 

Having done that, in the fifth round of interaction, we identified five qualities which got 90 percent of votes. Five volunteers commented about the importance of each of those qualities- Competence, Approachability, Communication skills, keeping confidentiality, and compassionate care. I wanted them to share how they can grow imbibing these values while they are in training. The volunteers surprised us by the creative and sound suggestions for which they received loud applause. 

I was left with seven minutes to summarise my thoughts on professionalism in medicine. I concluded by drawing their attention to Altruism, regarding the lecturers in the class room, patients they would interact with and the books they read as their teachers spend their life time to make a difference in health care by innovation and original pursuit. 

I went ready to take a group photo of the batch. Although I took, the poor light conditions did not give good enough pictures. 

Later in the evening, an intern who knew about my engagement with the batch of 2020, asked me , 'How was your lecture'! I said, 'I listened to the trainees for forty five minutes and shared my thoughts for seven minutes'! 

I felt fascinated by the thought stream present in the batch of 2020. They came ready to college to learn and have and discover the calling in the practice of students. 

Just as the fist picture above is a mosaic of colours, let me suggest that the batch of 2021 is a mosaic of young people with abilities, skills and resources. What a privilege it was for me to have been  with them for fifty seven minutes! 

In appreciation of their conversation and participation in the session, let me offer them a  Lily from our garden at home,  as a token of my immense appreciation for them.


I am sorry I have to request you to gather again to get a group photograph, when I shall be ready with my tripod!

It was a special occasion to have been with the batch of trainees in medicine, 2020! They enthused me. I found that I would be comfortable to approach them for my health care when they practice medicine after their training.

You are welcome to visit the department where I work and our home as and when you get time! 


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment