14 September, 2021

The spectators at a bird bath!







I watched the other day, how a Bulbul and Barbet remained engaged while the Magpie Robin was having its bath in the pool of water in our courtyard!

I waited to see if they too would join in splashing the water! That did not happen!

I have noticed Magpie Robins on other times too, playing in water pools. They feel drawn towards water! It seems to be their instinct!

Birds are instinct driven. Humans are also similar. A visitor who came yesterday told us about the screen time instinct that is occupying the attention of school going children!

An instinct is not at the cognitive level, but at the sensual level! So most instincts can be overcome by a cognitive behaviour change!

That is why the Alcoholics Anonymous has had profound impact on people who are willing to be freed from their habitual drinking!

An instinct can become a desire and an addiction...a thief who was questioned by a police officer confessed that he is overcome by his instinct to steal! But he was helped by the police to get rehabilitated and is currently running a wayside tea shop near the police station. He has a grateful response to the police who instead of incarcerating him rescued him from his instinct!

One instinct I feel humans can overcome is gossip! We as humans design gossip stories against people in order to malign them. Instead saying good things about others is less common! 

I have a friend who sends messages to encourage and enquire! That is one way of bringing cheer to others! There are people whom we like and whom we do not like! People who fall in both categories are our neighbours, whom we are called to 'love as ourselves'. 

I find this journey the greatest of all challenges I have faced! How can I grow out of the habit  of referring to others thoughtlessly!

I felt fascinated by a Bulbul and Barbet delighting in the water play of a Magpie Robin!  

Taking delight in others and their experiences in life is an opportunity to build relationships!

I wondered if this habit is on the decline!

I know for myself that it has not received the attention in the recent years as much as I was used to earlier!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment