25 June, 2020

Humour in daily life !



As I drove in to the college campus through its gate two days back, I noticed this Myna in a playful mood in the lawn inspite of a drizzle. I stopped to take its picture. It took a few minutes before I could get the bird to be still. A voice from behind, said to me, 'You are getting wet. You pass through the gate in the morning and evening and you do not stop to take my photograph'. It was the watchman at the gate whom I usually wish every time I drive through. It is true that I do not down the glass for him to see me wishing him. 

While I turned to take his photo the signal came on the camera screen, 'change battery'. I opened the door of the car to get the spare battery from my bag. When I turned back, I saw the watchman running towards the gate. His supervisor had come on his morning round to inspect!

So I continued chasing the Myna till I got a decent photo of its frolicking in the rain. As I got back into the car, I noticed another Myna at a show distance away carrying a lens cover between its bills. That was when I realised that I had dropped the lens cap. Any unthoughtful action would make the Myna fly away with it! So I got out of the car quietly and waited till Myna dropped it on the ground. I rushed towards the Myna as soon as it dropped it on the ground giving it no time to pick up the lens cap before it flew away. It was a thriller scene. I was glad that the watchman did not notice it, lest the planning needed at that time might have been disturbed by his enthusiastic chase of the Myna.

I did stop at the gate in the evening to greet the watchman, but it was another watchman at the gate. 

The Myna and watchman became a good story of humour for me to remember!

I was late at work for half an hour. But I got a photo of a Myna in motion! 

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment