23 June, 2020

A singing pair!



I watched these birds singing together at daybreak, sitting on the compound wall of our house. They sang tunefully and in tandem.

Anna and I have recently talked about our calling while we live in this cottage in a quiet village. 

It is what we are to others what really matter. 

It is now about 24 months, since I started writing to people with whom I have had some association to express my gratitude and kind regards. I have some more to people in the list.

As I watched these birds and heard them sing, I felt touched by their bird call of celebration of the morning. This stayed with me for a while and felt taken up by a message that resonated within my soul. They seemed to sing for me. It is this which touched me most. 

There are occasions when one might have a surprise and heightened awareness of God consciousness. 

In the book, 'the song of the bird' Anthony de Mello, SJ has a story on page 39, on 'Thomas Aquinas stops writing'. '' The story goes that Thomas Aquinas, one of the world's ablest theologians, suddenly stopped writing towards the end of his life. When his secretary complained that his work was unfinished, Thomas replied: 'Bother Reginald, when I was celebrating the liturgy some months ago I experienced something of the Divine. That day I lost all the appetite for writing. In fact, all I have written about God seems to me now to be like straw' "

It is when I read the above passage, I became aware of the largeness of small  or short lived happenings in our lives. They create a new inward journey of nearness to our own soul, where God is present silently.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment