24 June, 2020

A little bird and a fisherman!




At dawn, while looking out for bird movements between trees, I heard a giant bird song, which got subdued in between in the morning breeze. It took a while for me to locate the site from where the song was coming. It was a song of a sunbird perched in a dry stem about 100 feet above the ground. The movements of its bill was the evidence of its singing. It song filled the calm air. There was music in its birdcall.

I read a story of an industrialist who met a fisher man in the beach, who was resting beside his boat. He asked the fisherman, 'why are you not at the sea fishing'. The fisherman replied, 'I caught enough for the day'. The industrialist said, 'catch more so that you can earn more', to which the fisherman replied, 'what will I do if I catch more'! ThE industrialist went on to entice him with the prospect of buying a nylon net, motorising his boat, buying another boat to rent it out, earning more to live content, etc. The fisherman replied, 'What would I do then'?. The industrialist replied,'Then you could sit down and enjoy life'. Th fisherman replied, 'What do you think I am doing right now', said the contented fisherman.

A small bird with with its just audible song and a fisherman with his deep sense of contentment!

Both these tell me that life is for living fully and content. 

The sun bird cannot sing like a cuckoo bird, nor would a fisherman want to go after money losing the capacity for enjoyment. Both of them show the way to live each day thankfully and purposefully!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment