11 March, 2023

The Turning ahead!


 I found this photo in my collection a few days ago. 

The year 2013, when this photo was taken, was a year of some major events in my life. That was the fifth year since I retired from my regular work, when I had to make some major choices and decisions !

Ten years altering 2023, I feel in a similar position . The last ten years were well spent years. My second retirement happened during this time. Having been asked to continue after that, it is now my turn to take the decision for the final retirement from the regular professional work. 

My thoughts dwell on what lies ahead beyond the turning on this journey!

The years ahead are to be redeemed to be fruitful and fulfilling!

The seventh decade in life is the time when the ageing process can bear one down. But it is also a period when one can apportion time to live fulfilled, feeding from life's experiences of rich collection of memories and insights. 

Living therefore takes a new colourful outlook-celebrating life and living!

In a conversation with a pathologist who came to talk about her son who needs some support for his communication and learning path, mentioned that she was less anxious about her son now as she is able to 'let go' of her plans and ambitions for him. She thought that life would have its normal twists and turns in his life as well how much ever she tried to control them!

Letting go, is the logo worth focussing on!

It is an active state of living, when we allow the unknown to take place and add another flavour. We can live ready and tuned in to welcome each day expectantly and gratefully!

The road ahead is a continuity of the road travelled thus far. On either side of the road are sights and scenes. So the journey is living in the consciousness of how much we will be accompanied with what is needful for each day!

Let me recall a major event in my life of the late nineteen eighties. 

Five years after having been at the ASHIRVAD Child Development Centre at Chennai, in 1989, I realised that I needed some grounding in child Neurology as the children who needed support for developmental recovery had neurological insults, which I wanted to explore more actively to make the support for them evidence based. There were adult neurologists in Chennai, whom I visited to get their guidance on this matter. There were three paediatricians who underwent training in adult neurology, and working in the government hospitals. That was a time when there was no  paediatric neurology training in India. Recognising my interest in Developmental Neurology, they were forthcoming to welcome me for clinical discussions to clarify the causal pathway for developmental delay in children. It was during this time I was introduced to learn more about EEG. The MRI scanning facilities had just got started in Chennai at that time. They helped me to get introduced in understanding the anatomy of the Brain. One of them a recognised guide for research leading to PhD offered to help me to register with the University towards being a full time researcher for three years to work on a topic related to developmental neurology. But the University had no provision at that time to accept anyone for being a research scholar other than doctors working in government service.

I waited for three years hoping against hope that an opportunity will arise except going overseas for getting further training in Developmental Neurology. On one occasion I was invited to give a presentation on Epilepsy in Developmentally challenged children in a meeting chaired by the Professor and head of the Institute of Neurology at the Chennai Medical College. After the meeting he greeted me and appreciated my presentation and invited me to visit him in his office next morning. During the meeting, having known about my interest in Developmental Neurology, he offered me a full time scholar's  position at the Institute which would help me to register for PhD. I had not known or met Prof C.U.Velurmurugendran till that meeting. His generosity and mentoring support for the next three years introduced me to some foundations in Developmental Neurology leading to the award of PhD in Developmental Neurology for the work done on Minor Neurological Dysfunction in preschool children. 


I remember those five years prior to this turning point, when I went to pillar to post to get some formal training in Developmental Neurology. Having not found any opening, I had to let go of that dream. Through a grant given, I was able to visit child Development Centres in Britain during summer months during those years. The consultants in different hospitals helped me a lot to pursue the interest while I gave up on a formal training. 

It was therefore a surprise beyond any expectation that this opportunity at the Institute of Neurology opened up for me in 1993. Although the professors were new to me, I admire  their help to give me foundational exposure in Electrophysiology, imaging, clinical interpretations, dysmorphology, genetics of neurological disorders, sleep medicine, cortical electrical dysfunction, epigenetics, etc. 

When the professional path in life appeared a closed door, this opening led me further into a learning journey for the last twenty five years after my time at the Institute of Neurology. 

I felt compelled to let go of my interest, but the journey path was opened before me by the thoughtfulness of a professor whom I met for the first time.  

A stranger became my pathfinder!

Our lives have instances such as this, when we would have felt carried beyond by surprising events! 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment