12 December, 2020

Creative presence




At dawn, I was looking at the sky. I noticed the moon and the scanty clouds in the background of a blue sky.

It was after a while my attention turned to a dragon fly on a dry twig in a tree. It was too small to see from a distance.  

It is common to be carried away by captivating sights and loose sight of ordinary scenes.

I heard two colleagues sing yesterday, one of them accompanying the singing with tapping on a plastic cup and keeping the rhythm going. A plastic up turned into a musical instrument because one person found the ordinary cup good enough to be a musical instrument. 

We live in an environment when appearance or prominence matters. In listening to my colleagues yesterday, I was moved to sense that even a plastic cup which is thrown into the waste bin after its use is valuable in the beholder's eyes.

When we feel ignored or excluded or bypassed, it is good to remember that our presence in whatever way we can be, is good enough. Someone would find our presence useful enough in  an appropriate way. This frees us from the desire to be noticed, heard or acknowledged. 

Let me be satisfied by by my presence because that in itself is a gift I can give to others  Presence is a creative way of serving others silently. 

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment