08 February, 2020

A perspective!


This slogan composed at ASHIRVAD Child Development Centre at Chennai in 1983 is still  one of the wall texts in the room where I offer consultation. I reflect on this often!

The book, 'The Obstacles is the way' by Ryan Holiday is a collection of turning points in the lives of many ordinary and outstanding people in history, who were able to turn their failures, disappointments or obstacles in to opportunities for themselves and others.


We feel burdened when we commit a mistake and might even stay blaming ourselves and others. That can be only for a short while, if all it happened to be so!

The reflection ought to go beyond. There is a learning and knowing process that is a consequence of a 'mistake', because even a mistake is an experience pregnant with meaning. What is beneath the immediate disappointment  is a message of clarity, correction and and direction. 

I look at the feed back form which parents leave behind after their consultation time with me to learn a little more about myself and the way I interact ! What they leave behind forms and transforms me! They are a mirror to me!

Our mistakes are also a mirror to us! It points us to a direction which can be seminal and defining for the future!

It is when we take time to listen to the messages from our mistakes we continue to grow! Our mistakes are our learning lessons, if we are sober and kind towards ourselves and others!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment