10 March, 2016

When the alumni meet!


I watched how these friends interact when they met last week at CMC Vellore. As the alumni of the college, they returned to the student days,  life in the hostel and life at work and training! The ease and cheer with which they returned to their student days gave me yet another insight about the 'special' experiences most alumni of the college have had during their time at CMC. They told me  that often the friendships with began during student days last a life time.  

I have been to some formal alumni meetings of CMC in India and overseas. The atmosphere is an authentic expression of genuine friendships. 

For some reason, while sharing their lives in the men's and women's hostel, they develop a bonding which builds trust and affection to last a life time!

In my class of 200 hundred student sat Nagpur medical college, I could relate meaningfully to about thirty people and to my clinical batch of twenty students. The rest were just names to me. Now, I have limited contact with about ten people after forty years. I wish it was different. 

The annual get together of the alumni at Vellore in August and the active alumni association who connects with the alumni contribute to keep this spirit of camaraderie alive a and fresh!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo


No comments:

Post a Comment