29 June, 2014

Giants only challenge !

Malcolm Gladwell is an outstanding author, widely read especially after his best selling book, The Tipping Point.

In this book, David & Goliath, Malcolm makes a profound journey to uncover the 'hidden dynamics that shape the balance of power between the small and the mighty’.

David and Goliath, the Old Testament story of a battle, (I Samuel.17:1-58) where David the shepherd fell a well armoured giant, Goliath with a sling and stone, is the script around which he weaves insights and truths in an original and captivating form. 

This book is a narration and reflection on what happens when ordinary people confront giants. 

One giant I had to confront  about ten months back was my heart disease and the bypass surgery! I was almost frozen by fear when I accidentally discovered that I needed surgery. Until then, I had consoled myself to be needing only an angioplasty. 

Malcolm suggests in this book that ‘giants are not what we think they are’.

That is what happened to me before and after the surgery! The loving attention from Anna, Amy and Arpit, Aswathy and Anandit and hosts of friends eased the tension and anxiety. I felt carried and comforted.

Malcolm has this to say in his introduction to this book: ‘.. being an underdog can change people in ways that we often fail to appreciate; it can open doors and create opportunities and educate and enlighten and make possible what might otherwise seemed unthinkable’.

There is a prospect beyond every difficulty, which would form our character! There is art of battling giants!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment