18 June, 2014

Students become teachers!


There are surprises when one is in the company of younger people!

I was to give my last lecture on growth and development to the pre-final batch of medical students yesterday. As I walked into the lecture hall there was a loud applause and I was drawn towards the black board, which had a display on ‘celebrating childhood’, all prepared and displayed voluntarily by the students to recall some of the issues we touched upon while referring to childhood and the developmental transformation that takes place in children. 

We began the series with students preparing a power point presentation of about 20 students from the class, by showing their photographs of infancy along with their current photos, which was a hilarious beginning. That was a moment of awareness for the students that they too have grown and developed. So studying about growth and development was something that was also part of their experience. This brought in enthusiasm and appreciation of the developmental process as a continuum. They learned something about themselves while studying the subject. 

It was the first series of lectures I had taken, since Anna and I joined this medical college eighteen months back. 

I was touched by the warmth of the students and their spontaneity. During the last five sessions, we had students reciting poetry which they composed about childhood; showing pictures which they drew to express memories of their childhood and of course the presentation yesterday of their celebration of childhood. 

I am glad to have met this batch of students and feel encouraged by their creative approach to learning. I felt at home in the company of future physicians, who carry a heart to feel while they learn with their mind. I have been enriched by this inspirational encounter with the batch of 2011 of MOSC Medical college!  

Students are our teachers of truths beyond subject matter!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)  

No comments:

Post a Comment