21 June, 2014

Another way of knowing!

We are familiar with bird watching and most of us know a lot about it !

As Anna and I live in a village with thick vegetations all around it common for us to hear the birds and not see them, even if we make an effort. I have not been familiar with bird songs. I met a bird lover who gave me some tips about identifying birds form their songs. 

The first suggestion he made was to wait at the spot as soon as we spot a  bird and get to listen to its chirping, call or song. 

I followed that advice and stopped often during my walks. It is easier to get started with  few birds and identify the birds from their song.

There is something interesting about this practice. It has brought to my attention another way of knowing the birds. 

There are different ways of knowing each other. We may be used to knowing people by their qualification, position, skills, leadership…etc. But they have a hidden personal side to their lives. Discovering it would bring surprises and enlarge our understanding of others!

An adolescent boy is known to his friends and teachers as poor in his class room learning. But he is the one who reads the news paper to a visually impaired senior citizen in his neighbourhood and help him  with his shopping and house keeping. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment