22 July, 2026

We become ourselves through others!




The flowers in our garden have a drenched look due to regular rainy days in the last two weeks. They lack the brilliance and radiance of the winter days. A 'washed out look' was what one child of eight years  described it, during his visit to the  garden! The flowers are 'drained' of their  usual colour and vigour in the rain. 

I faced such a 'low spirit' within me on account of a demanding situation last week. To be vulnerable is a normal experience. But it is possible to remain inwardly alive amidst the stress of a difficult situations. 

I got in touch with people three times more than what I normally do on a Sunday with messages and a photo of a flower from our garden. I had responses appreciating the message and flower! That brought an inward aliveness and took away the heaviness that was lingering upon my soul.  

I experienced something of Ubuntu, which Archbishop Desmond Tutu popularised through his talks and writings, which when translated from a tribal language in Africa is, "I am because we are ".

Each of us becomes more or beyond of ourselves when we meaningfully relate to others around us. 

Jesus of Nazareth calling out for Zaccheus who was on a tree to see Jesus of Nazareth, came down when called by Jesus. Moved by the kind attention Jesus offered him as against others who would not create space for him to Jesus, because of which he had to climb a tree, made confession to give half of his possessions to the poor and repay any one fourfold whom he defrauded! It was because of Jesus, Zacchaeus became a whole person, freed from his acquisitive and possessive journey to be wealthy! (Luke 19: 1-19).

We are surrounded by 'neighbours' who have the ability to upbuild our lives in gentle and affirming ways. It is when we feel vulnerable or drained within, we ought to be reaching out to turn our vulnerability  into a gainful and redeeming experience. It is others who can carry us forward when we feel fallen or disheartened! It is the alert mother with outstretched hands, who waits to receive the falling infant while attempting to walk! That reassures the infant to be wanting to walk! 

We become who we can be through others! No wonder Jesus quoted the second commandment, 'Love your neighbour as yourself'! Often it is others who become our path finders when waylaid by difficult situations! 

I feel enthused by the thought that even the drenched flowers looking dull, carry a message of enlivenment !


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)








No comments:

Post a Comment