27 July, 2026

The have-nots and the left out!








A family of Mynah birds arrived at the feeding station in the evening to find no food. We were late to replenish the feed as it was raining. They hovered around the feeding station. When Anna went to replenish, they left the feeding station. If they were the regular visitors to the garden, they would have waited chirping to alert us of their arrival or returned afterwards. But they did not. They flew away for their night halt elsewhere. 

It was while looking at the photos above I noticed the expectant and disappointed look in their body language. 

I felt sorry that we could not be hospitable enough to them anticipating the evening round of visitors at the feeding station. Some flew away immediately when they found the bowls empty and some stayed on. Even then we were late for them !

They came searching food. They did not find it. What can the birds do except to fly away! 

It highlighted me the strain of living! 

It was not common for people to beg for food in our village. But now, I find women and senior citizens going from one restaurant to another to get something to feed their hunger !

The state government offered to start a mid day feeding stations for senior citizens after the state government created a separate ministry to oversee the welfare of senior citizens. I read about a farmer in north Malabar allowing senior citizens to visit his farm to pick a packet of fruits containing Mango, papaya, and Rambutan every day.  His reasoning is that he would share from his produce to support his neighbours. I guess that he becomes a light to others! 

A visitor who dropped in briefly yesterday who is a resident in Abu Dhabi, mentioned how hundreds have lost job recently due to the spill over of war in Iran. 

The recent strain of living is created by the American ambitions- more tariff, disarm Iran, control Venezuela, disgrace the migrant Americans...! I wonder how the president of America can foster such an imposing attitude! 

During the protests of students at New Delhi demanding for a fair examination system, the students received food packets ordered on line by hundreds of people from various parts of India and overseas ! What a noble and sensitive thought!

It is this humane mindfulness that most of us long to see as the normal way of living!

I wish shelter, food and a job would be a reality for the have-nots in different parts of the world! 

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment