I happened to notice these birds in the garden, two through their bird calls and the other in a still posture. The cloud was gathering and I wondered where their behaviour was on account of the imminent rainfall! The bird behaviours reflect their perception of the environmental changes.
The birds live present to the environment.
This gave me an occasion to sense the way I behave in different situations. When the telephone rang yesterday and I saw the name of the caller my mind went back to a difficult conversation with that person three weeks ago. That aroused a curiosity, whether it was to continue that conversation. But when I received the call, it was an invitation for the baptism of their grandson.
The past memories influence our perception and responses. I felt concerned about the risk of viewing the current through the optic of a past experience.
This brought some memories of relationships! The past memories dominate. I wonder whether many memories remain without a good closure! A good closure is when a difficult or a pleasant experiences do not become a filter while relating to a person at the next time!
A weekly family time is a time of recollection of important family events and recalling of experiences. That becomes an occasion to gratefully acknowledge each other as well as to be confessional to offer and receive forgiveness. It means parents have an occasion to restore relationships with children by apology and confession and children too have an occasion to do the same. A confessed and forgiven issue brings a healing touch and does not stay on colouring future conversations. The freedom to relate to each other regardfully and appreciatively creates an ambience of comfort.
This changes the stressful relational ambience that most families live with. Fear, anxiety and stress arise from unresolved matters of disagreement or dispute.
The public space we share with others is often self driven. Most people look for their advantage and comfort and leave out the needs of others. A senior citizen was struggling to carry the three bagful of provisions to his car. A young man carried the bags for him to the car. When I watched this , I was reminded of the normal instinct of helpfulness that governs human behaviour! May be it is becoming occasional than being usual!
I was given a space to park the car in the only space left in the parking place, although two others who came earlier than me were waiting. Both of them who were waiting, offered me the space! It was an unusual experience and yet most refreshing! We live among people whose goodness and thoughtfulness are still alive! We can nurture this by being mindful of each other !
When we become mindful of others we become more humane and relational! That can relieve us of fear, anxiety and stress, while relating to others because we receive others as they are and not based on our experiences stations of them. It also makes us to be more appreciative and grateful!
M.C.Mathew(text and photo)
No comments:
Post a Comment