06 May, 2019

Flower and Fruit !


During the last three weeks, I did not take time to post my thoughts on the blog as I was overcome by a 'hurry' within me with crowding of many events in my daily rhythm. I am used to interruptions, disturbances and demands that consume attention and mindfulness. But what happened during the last three weeks was more than the ordinary.

 The news of three friends in their young age having to adjust to the diagnosis of malignancy, a senior citizen losing vision in one eye, opportunity to help in beginning a child development activity in another city, daily hateful exchange between political leaders during electioneering, and unfinished restoration work in our property made me to retreat from some regular involvements and reflect on the changing times ! I am nearing another birthday shortly!

I remember noticing many flowers in the guava tree in our courtyard about three weeks, when I was in the midst of a planned inner journey! I returned to the tree yesterday and found the guava photographed here, almost ready to pluck, which grew from one flower! It was a sight that gave me another way mark of perception about life itself!

The flower was a host to a honey bee when I first noticed it. From then onwards, the guava tree was preparing to provide s fruit from that flower. It moved me as I thought of this. A tree exists to give away its fruits to all those who come! 

I sensed through a growing consciousness during the morning walk, that life is to be lived for others as much as it is for oneself! Dr Paul Brand, lived with a mission of 'doing good' through his professional skills that he discovered new techniques to make the claw hands of patients suffering from  leprosy, functional through reconstructive surgery.   

When a child of three years came to visit me two weeks back with a scribbled page of his first attempt to hold a pencil with his weaker right hand, I knew that the normal instinct in all humans is to give something of oneself to others for their wellness. 

To a most provocative statement of the  Prime Minister of India calling Mr Rahul Gandhi's assassinated father , 'Mr Corrupt', he responded in twitter by saying, '.. love and a big hug'! That was indeed kindness par excellence!

I confess that this national election has evoked hateful campaign unlike any other election I have witnessed!

The alternative to this is to give away in word and deed many acts of kindness!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment