18 May, 2019

Perception and truth!






I was taken a back by this bird without one of its legs. It stayed on being on its one leg for a while. I was about four hundred meters away from this bird and had to depend on the telephoto lens to ascertain whether one of his limbs was amputated. My mind kept wandering over the possible accidents the bird would have suffered from from its flights or habitat. 

It took a few minutes for the bird to extend its flexed limb, which appeared earlier as an amputated limb. It was back on both its limbs and singing its bird song. 

I believed that the bird had an amputated limb for a few minutes. That is how I perceived it through my telephoto lens.

I suffered from two distortions. I was at a distance and did not have a 360 degree view of the bird. 

I walked back home from the farm carrying this insightful discovery of this morning: many things, events, feelings, sights, tales...etc. have perceptual and truthful dimensions. I realised how I live in the perceptual dimension sometimes without being patient and pursuant to go beyond to discover the truth which lies beyond the perception. This is a crucial and critical defining dimension in all relationships. 

I have recollected some instances in the recent past, how when I was willing to leave behind the perceptions, the truth liberated me from suspicion, anger or fear. 

It is 'truth that shall set you free', according to Jesus of Nazareth. 

A domestic helper who behaved in a truant way, was slipping into substance abuse. I perceived him to be irresponsible. But he was getting addicted to overcome his personal upheaval on account of stress and discord. So that changed my perception from being angry to being thoughtful and supportive. 

Let us verify whether our perceptions are truthful! It calls for greater attention and scrutiny of our belief practices. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment