25 August, 2021

Waiting at a shut door!


Daffney and Dulcie would wait at this grilled door to our courtyard to open for them to rush out before we can restrain them. Having waited for a while and not finding the door opening, they woeful return to other explorations in inside the house. 

It is a lesson in practical wisdom as to how long one should wait at a closed door!

At my work place I have waited for nine years for a greater expression of the specialty That  I represent. It is one place, where I fond the door shut against some aspirations I have had when I began nine years ago. 

During the last one year, I have been drawn away from the earlier aspirations to a new direction that I had not considered seriously. There were indications coming from some friends to explore a wider opportunity to bring Child Development of developmentally challenged children in to a focus among some professionals, who have interest in this direction. I needed time to move in this direction. 

In a Zoom meeting yesterday, when four of us with similar interest met, there were some practical suggestions, which called for turning the direction to an open door of opportunities! It turned out to be an affirmation that a closed door is the beginning of a creative journey into a horizon that is still wide open! The proposal to form a ASHIRVAD Forum for Child Development for Developmentally Challenged Children is now before us. There are new initiatives in a few institutions including Christian mission hospitals. The on-line weekly meeting to discuss  clinical scenarios of developmentally challenged children, now in its fourth month, is one expression of this interest. Dr Vinitha from Bangalore Baptist Hospital has been the mover of this initiative. Ms Shalini from the department where I work now is another enthusiast, who is envisioning some possibilities. Anna is excited at the prospects of a new initiative with ASHIRVAD fostering it!

My good dog friends showed me the way to move away from a closed door and engage in what is still possible. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment