17 December, 2017

Listening gestures!


One listening gesture that I noticed in this conversation is  the gentle, smiling, open and interested facial gesture, focussing on the face of the speaking person! The body gesture too was complementing the facial gesture. I watched this over five minutes through the lens of my camera. This gentleman was present fully to the speaking person from what I can make out!

This capturing sight stayed with me for a while and made me consider the different gestures I communicate while listening. Although listening is part of my clinical work I became aware of the disapprovals, disinterest or drifting attention I convey while listening. 

A speaking person is seeking for a listener who can enter in to his or her world of thoughts and needs!
In that sense listening is a gift we can offer to others!

This exercise of listening includes, hearing, understanding, discerning and accompanying! At the end of  listening to a person, what we can offer is to accompany that person in our thoughts and prayer!

 M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment