27 January, 2016

The stress of losing the way!

Dulce decided to go on an exploration of the backyard of our home on her down when the kitchen door was open for a short while. Six of us kept searching for her for about half hour.

When Shymala, our domestic helper found her in the lawn she looked frightened and exhausted. She was panting and her heart pounding! She licked all over us when we carried her back home. 

For the next half an hour or so, Dulcie looked dazed and stayed close to us. 

Losing the way is more than a physical experience. 

As adults we lose our way in our thoughts,  attitudes and perceptions. As I live in a village, the shopping experience is altogether different from an urban experience!  One might expect to be served in the order one came to a shop. Instead, most shop keepers recognise the regular visitors and have social conversations and would serve them first. I feel agitated by this and lose my cool. When I protested to the owner after waiting for 20 minutes he mentioned that people came to the shop for conversations and not for buying alone sometimes! 

I returned home agitated, only to realise in a sober moment that I too lost my way! I have a utilitarian approach when I go to a shop where as others have a social and relational dimension! As I reflect on this, I realise that life is a matrix of relationships which need renewal through conversations! People without this consciousness would feel stressed because, they are discordant with the social rhythm of life!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment