03 March, 2014

Music and singing !













We begin the week and end the week in our department with a time of prayer and debriefing. My colleagues added singing as a part of this time for the last three months. Since we started singing choruses and hymns , this time spent together has become even more meaningful.

I have been becoming more conscious recently how singing together can reach us at a deeper plane of consciousness! Some of my colleagues are musically gifted and they make the singing time special by singing in parts. Even for me, who has no musical ear, I find such times refreshing and uplifting. 

We live amidst intruding voices, noise and all forms of music to the extent that we feel tired of the effect of loud music! Therefore it is soothing to listen to live choral singing that can call our soul to rest and feel connected with the reality that transcends the visible and palpable. 

I am not sure whether we sing enough as families. Since our children left for college, Anna and I have often  skipped singing during our times of prayer. Recently Anna began to sing during our drive to work and I realised what a rich resource singing is to minister to our soul with words and music, when sung devotionally and mindfully!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)     

No comments:

Post a Comment