06 February, 2023

The Big and Small birds









Anna and I spotted a family of Asian Openbill birds beside a lake. On the same day we had a visit from Loten's sunbird in our garden. 

These big waterbirds and the small birds resident in gardens and bushes are in fact a contrast in many ways. 

The water birds live beside the waterbodies as they find their food near them. The Sunbirds are     noticeable near human habitations because that is where find flowers for gathering nectar. 

The contrasts apart, what is common about the birds is that they 'neither sow nor reap or store food in the barn' but they find food for the day. They search and find!

I have a suspicion that we as humans find anxiety as our driving force! We plan, dream, toil, carry burdens of tomorrow and live as if we are being chased by the instinct to be successful and be noticed for our achievements. I have times when the freedom to live and the joy of living get replaced by anxiety of 'what I shall put on, what I shall eat or where I shall live'!

I feel drawn to watch bird movements, because they are visitors with a message of calling us to  live free of self absorption in existential questions and concerns. There is a life within, which originates from the consciousness that, '...I am fearfully and wonderfully made, wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it well' (Psalm 139:14) !

The life within is what matters, for we are potentially 'Good Samaritans' in our calling!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment