11 August, 2012

Celebrations and Family Times

I grew up in a rural setting and studied at a school, which offered good education and facilities for sports and games. I was generally happy at home with a wide canvas of social events taking place at home.

Later, when I joined college, I was drawn by  Marxist  philosophy of an egalitarian society where the capacity and wishes of the least in the society, the working class, should rule over others. I was in this spell for about five years. I attempted to live frugally, and avoided extravaganza of any type.

I walked into marriage with a hang over of such beliefs and practices. I was even against any celebration on birthdays. Anna was balanced with a healthy and moderate attitude to creature comforts and symbols in family life. I am glad that I was enabled to move from my position by Anna’s patience with me.

All families have their celebration times and special occasions. A home is a place where each member is introduced to share in the different experiences of others. Every family needs to remember gratefully events which gave them a new meaning in life. So birthdays, wedding anniversaries, festivals, etc are such common events most families will celebrate.

There is another dimension to it which is ‘Family Times’, where recalling of memories and experiences take place Usually once in two weeks or so, with a candle lit on the dining table we as a family sat around after supper, to share our memories of the two weeks. They were amazing times of fun, celebration and offering and receiving apology, thereby creating an ambience of intimacy, trust, and openness. 

It is necessary for parents to apologize to children for harsh words spoken, impulsive responses or punishments offered in anger. Children need to grow up in an ambience, where they receive from their parents a warm welcome to their presence, temperament, and contributions to the growth of  parents. A family evolves not just through the daily events only, but through such times when we speak, listen and feel with our hearts.

Let me suggest that  ‘family times’ are mending and uplifting times of family ties!

No comments:

Post a Comment