30 January, 2023

Freedom of Movements when secure!






A female Golden Oriole made several movements while perched at height in a slender branch of a tree! It made itself secure with its firm grip around the branch. 

I pondered over this constant bird behaviour. It is the second nature of a bird to move when secure!

I reflected over instances in my life when movements were necessary- from one responsibility to another. one place to the other, one direction to another, one perspective to another...!

During all those movements, what mattered as I look back, was how well anchored I felt in my belief for change!

The act of Peter, a follower of Jesus of Nazareth, venturing to walk on water, seeing Jesus  walking on water and moving towards the boat caught in a storm that he and his other friends were sailing in, aroused my interest.  Peter in so doing was about to sink and needed Jesus to hold him to stand firm!

The security to move comes from within! Peter was moved to walk towards Jesus! But the water could not steady him! The hand holding of Jesus steadied him!

The branch offered a bird the security to steady itself during all its movements. Its confidence is in the branch to which a bird holds on to !

On 30 the of January, when we remember Mahatma Gandhi the Father of the Indian nation, I am reminded of a hymn that he was fond of:

'Lead, Kindly light, amidst the encircling gloom,
Lead, Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I'm far form home,
Lead, Thou me on !
Keep Thou me feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me'.

Rev C F Andres, a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi once seems to have said about Mahatma Gandhi, that 'Gandhi felt secure in God, because he lived, moved and and had his being in God'.

Feeling secure is an inward consciousness towards God, the Being in our lives!

M C Mathew (text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment