29 June, 2021

The fragrance of a flower


During the monsoon season the jasmine plants in our garden do not have the cluster flowers as they normally have. 

I sensed jasmine's fragrance from a distance  and looked around for any flower. I had to search out a flower, which was covered in the foliage. Just one flower, but rich fragrance! 

That set me thinking. The significant role of a small solitary flower! It filled the air with its aroma. 

There is an oft asked question, 'What can one person do alone'!

I met a grass cutter who goes around in our village and cuts grass in the public places especially on either side of the road voluntarily. He does that to keep the road side safe from snakes hiding in the night. Most people in the village walk around in the night without a torch. He knowing the increased incidence of people suffering from snake bite during every monsoon season clears the grass on the road side. 

Just one thoughtful person! In my conversation with him he spoke about this with such delight  that it surprised me. With the petrol price at 100 rupees a litre now, he still does this service to the village. 

I met another young man who goes around in the village and puts off all the street lights in the village. He does not have to bother to put them on in the evening as people walking pass the place would put them on. That is not case in the morning. People living next to the electric post could actually put them off, but it does not happen regularly. The man who was doing it yesterday told me that it is the least that he can do as public service. 

The stories of one person or a small group keep coming back to me as I think of opportunities to be mindful of the needs of others. 

As I was driving back home yesterday, I noticed a young man filling a pot hole with stones  and leaving sign for people to be careful. I saw him doing this inspite of getting drenched in the rain! I offered to help him, but he did not want me to get wet! What a noble thought!

Our civil society has such well meaning people. They might be few in number, but their presence keeps us aware of the call to be altruistic!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment