14 June, 2021

In between the rain!




 

It was a sight worth watching in our garden yesterday, during a short period, when there was short respite form rain. The honey bees were out seeking for nectar! 

The bees moved from one flower to another, sometimes returning to the same flowers later. The bees gave way to each other. I did not notice bees competing to be on the same flower. Every bee moved away to another flower when another bee was already there. This seemed to be their habit. 

This surprised me. The compulsive habit of wanting to get for oneself before others or displacing someone to be in a position of advantage, did not appear to be the behaviour trait of these bees. That is why they can form themselves into bee hives and live intimately.

The social structure for humans is to live in a civil society where we keep the common good in our consciousness.

The stories of this expression during this COVID pandemic are most touching to say the least.I am familiar with a community kitchen which functions close by to our locality. All those who need food are provided for. The migrant workers who are without jobs find this place as their only hope. 

I had not encountered people living hungry in our neighbourhood. But that is not uncommon now. 

I wonder whether the new social consciousness that is expressed creatively now would become the norm for us!

A family whom I know, has suspended all their birthday celebrations, anniversaries, etc in order to divert the money saved, to provide for families in the neighbourhood who face existential needs. 

It is a time to introspect whether we need what we possess! A person sold his SUV car and bought a smaller car,  and used the money saved to help in providing the on line learning support for children in the neighbourhood. 

A flower gives away its nectar. The honey bees gather them for others to gather honey from their hives. 

The nature around is a testimony to this giving habit inherent to all species. I wonder whether there will be more giving between humans! 

I certainly have much more than what I need. How I can overcome my instinct to posses more and give away whatever I can, has come to be my central question now, as I prepare to welcome another year in my life!


M.C.Mathew (text and photo)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment