11 December, 2013

A sign that speaks!






This was one of the last photographs, I took just before Anna and I left CMC Vellore campus after ten weeks of stay for my convalescence. We arrived in my mother’s cottage on 6th December and I returned to part time work on 7th December.

I feel that I am still in  transition stage from a ‘retreat’ setting at Vellore to a daily rhythm which has mixture of experiences.

Anna and I were able to discover a six kilometre path to walk through a hilly terrain which we do now daily in the evening with Daffney accompanying us. Daffney is most enthusiastic about the walk that she indicates every displeasure in case we get delayed to set out.

Many have called to find out how I adjust to a different rhythm of life here. It is too early to have sense of it in less than a week. However, I feel comfortable and encouraged to catch up with the events of each day.

I know that I am still in the phase of cardiac rehabilitation. However, I feel well and am open to each day. One of my colleagues mentioned to me yesterday that I ‘look rested’. I was curious to know why he saw me that way. He said, 'you convey a sense of well being and joyful spirit'.  It is then, I realised that rest is a tangible reality, which is noticeable. It has its effect on the way we talk, listen, converse, relates, walk and do our work.

Rest is not just a bodily state of well being. In fact it is an  experience when there is an integration of well being in the body, mind, soul and spirit. A restful person is open, patient, gentle, caring, perceptive and discerning. It is this Jesus of Nazareth referred to as ‘fullness of life’.  I feel good to be on this journey to live and work restfully.

The picture of the squirrel about to feed on the custard apple became a sign to me that, there would be provisions along this journey of learning to experience fullness of life. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)         

No comments:

Post a Comment