01 October, 2026

The Quiet presence for doing good!

 




On some mornings, the garden around our cottage is silent with no bird calls. The above three photos are of one such morning! The quiet presence! That is one way of being present! The hidden presence! 


The Barbet was later seen in the fruit tree!

How they live finding their daily needs! 

This is a contrast to the stress of daily living many of us carry with us!

When we live stressed we become less mindful of others. I experienced a thoughtful act of kindness from an auto-rikshaw driver yesterday. I was looking for an ATM to draw some money in a town that I was visiting. With the ATM that I went to, not being functional I felt at a loss. The auto driver, seeing my difficult situation, offered to take me to another ATM about a kilometre away. He is a college student who drives an auto in the evening to support his family. He supports his mother and two sisters who too are studying! He was effusive, helpful and courteous with no signs of stressful life experiences he goes through. He returned half of the money I offered to him for the auto charge. He needed persuasion to accept the whole amount! 

His is a quiet presence, doing good as much as he is able to. He was not self absorbed in the demands of stressful living he encounters. 

I returned from this experience, refreshed by the reminder of goodness of people from whom we receive in surprising ways!  

Being present to do good! 


M.C.Mathew (text and photo)






No comments:

Post a Comment