28 April, 2022

Two trees in this season!

 

As I look at these two trees located not far from each other in our garden, I receive a message to ponder upon! 

One bears fruits and the other not yet. The Mango tree is ten years old and the Rambutan tree is five years old. Both are expected to bear fruits after three years. Even after consultations with people who understand the science of agriculture we have not been able to find a reason for the mango tree to stay barren. Every time the tender leaves come, from January to March, we wait with anticipation for it to flower. 

One tree exists for itself and the other is also for others by sharing its fruits.

This has come as a message to dwell on. 

A tree is self giving. It gives us oxygen, leaves to feed the cattle and to make compost, and offers itself as flight stations to birds. A tree is shade for flora which needs protection from direct sunlight to grow under it. A tree finally at its prime is a timber for fuel or for making furniture out of it.  

The difference between the two trees in this scene is, one tree is yet to yield fruits. 

I have com across many who were colleagues or trainees in different places where I worked. I watched this scenario with some interest. I found some with earnestness to pursue to grow and explore to be fully themselves keeping the calling to become valuable to others. I have come cross some preoccupied with themselves and linger on around their personal interests alone.  

I have also dwelt on an important question: how to prepare professionals to be inclusive in their interests-develop their resources and be available to others beyond the interest of a personal gain alone! 

It is here I have come across road blocks. We are in an environment where, to be successful is driven home from early childhood. To be self-giving and grow in mindfulness of others is not often the outlook to life!

It has come to me at the end of forty years, that staying alive to this call of being mindful of others, independent of their responses or attitudes is what is needed. Whether it is towards colleagues, friends, strangers or critics, the way of living altruistically is to be mindful of all round us. 

I have failed sometimes on this mission; but I keep reviving this calling every time I feel the pressure to be self absorbed! Can I be equally interested in the welfare of others as much as I am occupied with mine and my family!

The second  mile is more demanding than the first mile while walking! And yet it is the second mile which makes us relational and humane in character.

Mr Rajan, the gardener in the hospital before he retired, offered to put a board in my assigned car park, which  was used by others two ore three times in a week to park. Seeing me struggle to find a place to park on those mornings, he offered to put up the car number in the slot and placed two flower pots I can use to block the space, when I leave in the evening. I was touched by his kindness and readiness to help me with his idea. He did all these without me asking for his help.

How to keep others in my orbit of thinking and responses is a question that calls my attention even more now!

I fail to respond to mails, sometimes to telephone calls and skip thinking of others. The mango tree is not complete until it bears fruits. I would live a complete life only when others remain active in my thoughts. 


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)






No comments:

Post a Comment