03 March, 2019

Personal practice protocols



Let me introduce a blog in existence from 2013, childdevelopmentashirvad.blogspot.com  which I have now revived out of my renewed interest to write a summary of our professional experiences of the last forty years. 

I have wanted to summarise my professional experiences in a book form like what was done in Parenting your child and Let me Live. I have begun to doubt whether it would be possible, in view of some challenges of logistics. At the same time, I feel compelled to share some experiences, which have defined my perspectives through my learning journey into Developmental Neurology and Child Development. 

I start this new series feeling immensely grateful to all my teachers and colleagues who have been significant people in letting me explore this learning journey, often patiently tarrying with me while I negotiated an unchartered path.

The ASHIRVAD board of trustees gave me the freedom to innovate. My teachers at the Medical Colleges at Nagpur and Pune, the Institute of Child Health, London and the Institute of Neurology at Madras Medical College, Chennai were my facilitators and companions in attempting to define and evolve the content and contours of Developmental paediatrics.

What made Developmental Paediatrics a visible academic specialty was the beginning of the department of Developmental Paediatrics at CMC Hospital in 1997 through a Memorandum of Understanding between ASHIRVAD and CMC Vellore. Let me acknowledge the willingness of Dr V.I.Mathan the then director of CMC Vellore to the facilitate  the birth of this academic specialty in a medical college in India in 1997.

It was Anna who supported this journey into a specialty which till then did not exist in any medical college in India, possible. She has been the source of steadfast inspiration.

My colleagues at ASHIRVAD Child Development Centre, Chennai (1983-1997), Early Learning Centre, Nagpur (1989-1996), Developmental Paediatrics , CMC Vellore (1997-2008), Developmental Paediatrics and Child Neurology at PIMS, Pondicherry (2010-2012) and MOSC Medical College, Kolenchery (20013- ) have been my formatters and enablers. It is their steadfastness to trust me even when the outcome of pioneering efforts looked intangible, which made this journey thus far significant and defining. 

I have a sense that the time of summarising the experiences and recollecting them to celebrate has arrived! 

Let me invite all of you to look forward to some regular posting in this blog from now on.

To all those who follow the blog: waymarksononajourney, thank you for showing an interest in the experiences of our lives as a couple. I shall continue to keep it alive by sharing our life experiences.

To all those who would visit the blog: childdevelomentashirvad, welcome! You would get a glimpse of the Personal Practice Protocols, which have evolved on the common developmental challenges children and families encounter !

M.C.Mathew (text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment