24 June, 2018

The daily routine!



In  a conversation with these two visually impaired adults, I found that they sell lottery tickets near the bus stops and earn about two hundred rupees as commission on a good day! They come walking form their homes and depend on this income for their livelihood!

I come across physically, visually and intellectually challenged in lottery business. As the lottery is a state government sponsored business, there is an assured income. I enquired at random with those working in the hospital where I work about their habit of buying lottery tickets. At least fifty percent buy regularly. Fifty percent of them were fortunate to get a prize in three to five years. 

The challenge of finding a livelihood is a existential reality! Although it is good for everyone to be occupied in  a dignified way, I wonder whether some suffer without respite from the struggles of finding a livelihood!

The state government has a pension scheme for those who are senior citizens or are 'disabled'! I have a neighbour who works in the farm although he is in his mid eighties! He has to take care of his wife who is almost bedridden!

I wonder whether some of us can 'save to give' to give to those who are less privileged!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment