28 June, 2018

From silence to singing!



I watched and followed the Magpie Robin all along the meadow for a while because I wanted to listen to its bird song! Each male bird sings tunefully, but differently. 

To my delight it began its bird song. Unlike other Magpie Robins, it opened its been only little to sing a long tune in more than one pitch. ( I have no sense of musical notes).

What caught my attention was its stillness of the body while singing! The whole attention was on singing with pauses in between!

I looked for other birds or its pair in the vicinity. But none was in sight. 

Sighting a bird is never complete, until you hear its birdsong and listen to its pair or others return the bird call!

I find tuning in to listen to the bird song gives me a sense of the bird world! They are territory conscious and cover the territory, it claims for itself everyday sometimes more than once! It has its life beyond its nest, or the tree of its night halt! It lives its life privately and publicly. We can watch all of these during a bird sighting trail. 

I too have a private and public dimension to my life! It is when my private life is in order, my public life is open to others! A mentor whom I respect and value told me, "become a book that others can read from"! This engages my attention now more than ever before!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment